Restorer from 1995 , Enabled restorer in accordance with article 182 of Legislative Decree n. 42, January 2004 the 22nd, Landscape and Cultural Heritage Italian Code.
Cesmar 7 Centre for study materials for conservation : Ordinary member since 2001, from 2015 in charge of Member of scientific committee and member of executive board. Instructor in refreshment course for conservators.
Member of scientific committee for the biannual international congress “Colour and Conservation” (CESMAR7 , Università Ca Foscari di Venezia, ICCROM).
Officer of Selected Reserve, from 2018, Captain 8° Regiment Sappers Genius, Folgore Brigade, Italian Army, in Cultural Property Protection Range.
Founder and President of CHIEF ONLUS (Cultural Heritage International Emergency Force), Civil Protection volunteering association renowned from International Blue Shields. Non profit association for the intervention on cultural heritage after disasters. Risk management and preparedness, recovery and monitoring: www.chief-onlus.it
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Master’s degree, Conservation and restauration of cultural heritage
(Fine Art academy Aldo Galli, Como)
- Restoration of stone materials and products, architecture decorated surfaces (PFP1)
(MA Degree in Painting and retouching of painting Fine Art academy Clementina, Bologna: Painting, Engraving, Art History, Anatomy, Conservation of paintings, conservation of murals, chemistry and chemistry for conservation)
- Master Diploma Graduate on restoration of architectural surfaces, stone and wall painting
(Ministry of Labour, Tuscany Region, Municipality of Arezzo, Municipality of Rapolano, Education Without Borders, Paris)
- International course of UNESCO World Heritage Centre, ICCROM, ICOMOS
“First Aid to Cultural Heritage in Times of crisis” Amsterdam. the Netherland.
(UNESCO World Heritage Centre, ICCROM, Smithsonian Institution, Reinwardt Academy, Amsterdam School. of the Arts, Centre for global Heritage and Development, National Museum Leiden, Prince Claus Fund)
- International course of UNESCO World Heritage Centre, ICCROM, ICOMOS
“Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage”. UNESCO World Heritage Centre,
(ICCROM, ICOMOS, Rits-DMUCH, Research Center for Disaster Mitigation of Urban
Cultural Heritage, Ritsmeikan University, Kyoto, Kobe, Tohoku Japan)
- Post-degree Specialization courses "Care and Conservation of Historic Firearms".
(City Of Angels Conservation, Los Angeles CA)
- “Technical management in emergency earthquake. Damage analysis and practicability of constructed” Enrolment in national list of professionals authorized from the Register Architects and National Civil Protection to value the post seismic practicability.
(Italian national architects Federation, National Civil Protection)
- “Major in redacting the civil protection plan for municipalities”
(Italian national architects Federation, National Civil Protection)
- “International cooperation and solidarity: practical tools and good practices”
(Superiore Sant’Anna School,Università di Pisa, Law Institute, development and policy)
- “Cultural property operator in crisis situation”
(Superiore Sant’Anna School, Università di Pisa, Law Institute, development and policy)
- Planning and adapting of structures to seismic danger
- Safety administrator in designing and implementing phases Legislative decrees 81/2008, 106/2009
(Scuola Edile di Genova)
- Multinational Nato Cimic Group. Nato civil -military cooperation. Nato licence to civil and military cooperation. Nato qualification for civil-military cooperation.
(Nato Cimic Group South di Motta di Livenza, Treviso)
- XII° Selected Reserve Course
(Application school and Military studies in Torino Italian Army)
- Advancement level course.
(Genius School Italian Army, Roma)
- Varnishes, solvents and touch-up paint in restoration.
(Instructors: Renè De La Rie, Jill Whitten, Robert Proctor, Stefano Volpin, Roberto Bestetti.Cesmar7, CTS, Il Prato, Vicenza Chamber of Commerce, Confartigianato.2007)
- Thread-by-thread tear mending.
(Instructor: Prof. Winfried HeiberCesmar7, Confartigianato, Il Prato, Scuola d’Arte e mestieri, Vicenza.2006)
- Materials and methods for cleaning polychrome artwork.
(Instructor: Prof. Paolo Cremonesi, Cesmar7)
- Diploma in painting restoration.
(Institute for art and restoration, Palazzo Spinelli, Florence)
-Diploma in restoration of frescoes and wall paintings.
(Regional school of restoration, Liguria Region, Province of Imperia)
- “Gestión de riesgos y emergencias en Patrimonio Cultural”
Plan Nacional de Gestión de Riesgos y Emergencias en Patrimonio cultural de España. Castilla e Leon.
- Specialistic course “Protection of Cultural Heritage, the earthquake of central Italy”
Cesmar7 Reggio Emilia.
- Lecteur and key resource person for the UNESCO international training course on "Disaster risk Management of Cultural Heritage", UNESCO Chair Programme on Cultural Heritage and Risk Management. UNESCO World Heritage Centre, ICCROM, ICOMOS, Rits-DMUCH, Research Center for Disaster Mitigation of Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsmeikan University, Kyoto. (Japan)
- Specialistic course “Protection of Cultural Heritage” Cesmar7 , Enaip piazzola sul Brenta (Pd).
- Specialistic course “Protection of Cultural Heritage” Cesmar7 , Reggio Emilia.
- Intensive Course “Organizzazione e Gestione della resilienza nei Beni Culturali” (Resilience management in Cultural Heritage) organizzato Alma Mater Studiorum di Bologna, Resint, Commissione Europea (EACEA). Bertinoro (FC). Ref. Prof. Massimo Bianchi.
- Restoration instructor within the context of the “Colour Project” (restoration of painted façades) for the Municipality of Sassello and the Scuola Edile of Savona. Contact: Arch. Giovanni Brino (Politecnico of Turin).
- Restoration instructor for the Municipality of Sassello and the Scuola Edile of Savona for the “Sassello borgo laboratorio” course within the context of the Colour Project (restoration of painted façades). Contact: Arch. Giovanni Brino (Politecnico of Turin).
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
9th june 2017
Palazzo Grimani, Venezia
“Protection of Cultural Heritage in a crisis area. The earthquake in Central Italy.”
Veneto Institute for Cultural Heritage.
20th may 2017
Salone del Libro Torino, Ministry of Defence.
The DualUse capacity of the Italian Army.
"Official professionals to protect cultural heritage, ethical and moral obligation to assure it for future generations ".
31th march 2017
Council Chamber of the Province of Matera, Committee for the Defense of the Joniche Lands, the TerreJoniche Association aps, the Ransom Movement and the Network of the Rural Municipalities, President of the Basilicata Region, Marcello Pittella, "Hydrogeological instability and calamities in the Terre area Joniche between Puglia and Basilicata "
5TH – 7TH DECEMBER 2016
Challenge: Cultural Heritage in Post-Conflict Recovery. Brandeburg University of Tecnology, Berlin University. Barbara Caranza, Cristina Muradore: Title: “Cultural properties as tools for building resilience. The psychological reaction toward catastrophes, the victim and the first aider”.
7th october 2016
Forum: Rivers as source of identity, culture, economic development: 'Rivers as an instrument of identity, cultural production, economic development and social estate'. Abbey of Montescaglioso, Matera
26th september 2016
Symposium of the UNESCO Chair International Training Course on Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage presso la Ritsumeikan University di Kyoto, Toyota Foundation.
19th september 2015
Luzzati Museum, Porta Siberia, Genoa International Conference "The protection and protection of Cultural Heritage in a crisis area. The international operating standards UNESCO and ICCROM and Italian ones. From risk reduction to emergency management. Resilienz Civil Protection culture. Institutions, tools and training, the role of the specialized voluntaryariat. Who, how, where, why: case histories and experiences compared "
10th may 2015:
FAIR OF THE RESTORATION OF FERRARA Contributed by Barbara Caranza: "The protection and protection of cultural heritage in a crisis area"
19th october 2015:
ITALIAN SOCIETY FOR THE PROTECTION OF CULTURAL HERITAGE - ONLUS XVI International Conference "60th Anniversary of the Hague Convention on the Protection of the BBCC" TORTONA -Alessandria
2th April 2011
Auditorium of the Museums of Strada Nuova, Genoa, cycle of seminars "The widespread museum. Restore. Passing culture preserving the matter ", organized by the Liguria Region, Genoa Chamber of Commerce, CNA, FAI, University of Genoa, Diocesan Museum of Genoa, Genoa Museums. Contribution by Barbara Caranza "Guidelines for the protection of cultural heritage in emergency areas: the case of L'Aquila after the earthquake".
13th November 2013
Mazziniano Institute, Genoa, cycle of seminars "The widespread museum. Genoa of marble and slate "organized by Liguria Region, Chamber of Commerce of Genoa, CNA, FAI, University of Genoa, Diocesan Museum of Genoa, Genoa Museums. Contribution by Barbara Caranza "The risk management plan for the Staglieno monumental cemetery".
15th april 2013
Palazzo Lomellino, Salone dello Strozzi, Genoa, cycle of seminars "Widespread Museum. The conservation of ancient and contemporary outdoor works ", organized by the Liguria Region, the Genoa Chamber of Commerce, CNA, FAI, the University of Genoa, the Diocesan Museum of Genoa, Genoa Museums. Contribution by Barbara Caranza, Paola Mussini, Stefania Agarossi "Operations to protect cultural heritage in emergencies. Risk management, analysis and preliminary evaluations. The Ghisilieri Oratory, an experience after the earthquake in Emilia ".
9th May 2014,
Salone Mantegnesco FUM, Mantova, "Preventive and Planned Conservation Conference", organized by the Polytechnic of Milan, Advanced Cultural District of Monza and Brianza Province of Monza and Brianza, Cultural District of the Reggias of the Gonzagas ". Poster session contribution by Barbara Caranza and Paola Mussini "The importance of risk prevention for the protection of built cultural heritage: drafting Disaster Risk Management Plan for the Munumentale Cemetery in Staglieno (Genoa) and the cultural landscape of Portovenere, Cinque Terre and the Islands ".
7th juin 2014
Cuneo legacy, Museum of Local Memories, Calvari, cycle of seminars "The Widespread Museum - the territory as heritage. Museo diffuso Fontanabuona: a sustainable evolution for the territory ", organized by Regione Liguria, Genoa Chamber of Commerce, CNA, FAI, University of Genoa, Diocesan Museum of Genoa, Genoa Museums. Round Table, with Marco Cavallero and Paola Mussini.
- Symposium on Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage - Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto. Toyota Foundation. Proceedings of UNESCO Chair Programme on Cultural Heritage and Risk Management, 2016 International Training Course on Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage, Institute of Disaster Mitigation for Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto
- Challenge: Cultural Heritage in Post-Conflict Recovery. Brandeburg University of Tecnology, Berlin University.
Barbara Caranza, Cristina Muradore: Title: “Cultural properties as tools for building resilience. The psychological reaction toward catastrophes, the victim and the first aider”.
- Flood 2014, Monumental cemetery of Staglieno. Institute of Disaster Mitigation for Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Gennaio 2016.
- UNESCO, Institute of Disaster Mitigation for Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto. Caranza B., Formulating Disaster Risk Management Plan for Monumental Cemetery of Staglieno, Genova, Proceedings of UNESCO Chair Programme on Cultural Heritage and Risk Management, 2013 International Training Course on Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage, Institute of Disaster Mitigation for Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, 2014.
- Caranza B., Mussini P., The importance of risk prevention for the protection of built cultural heritage: drafting Disaster Risk Management Plan for Cimitero Munumentale di Staglieno (Genova) and the cultural landscape of Portovenere, Cinque Terre and the Islands, Atti del Convegno Preventive and Planned Conservation Conference.
- IUCN, UNESCO, ICCROM, WORLD HERITAGE LEADERSHIP PROGRAM (WHLP), (Rome).
Drafting of the new manual on disaster risk management for world heritage sites, within the WORLD HERITAGE LEADERSHIP program.
- MIBACT. NATIONAL CIVIL PROTECTION DEPARTMENT.
Organization of technical interventions, human resources, logistics. Direction of works for CHIEF ONLUS and intervention of selection of the rubble and fragments of frescoes and stone elements worked, stabilization, cataloging and handling in Norcia (PG) - Campi - Church of S. Salvatore for 90 professional volunteers restorers of Chief-Onlus.
- 6TH GENIUS PIONEERS ROME, 8th GENIUS GUASTATORE FOLGORE, LEGNAGO.
Official reserve selected, functional specialist for the protection of Cultural Heritage in a crisis area, in the "Mission Sabina". Technical manager for handling, protection and stabilization recovery operations in the Umbria, Lazio, Marche and Abruzzo regions. Assignment from 1 November 2016 to April 2017 at DICOMAC function Cultural Heritage for planning operations of interventions representing the Italian Army.
- NATO MULTINATIONAL CIMIC GROUP ITALIAN ARMY, MOTTA DI LIVENZA (TV)
Official Functional Specialist for the protection of Cultural Heritage in areas of crisis, natural disasters / armed conflict. Drafting of SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for the CCP (Cultural Property Protection) for the NATO doctrine.
For MEC SRL:
- Restoration of the Savi tomb, Municipality of Genoa, Monumental Cemetery of Genoa.
- Restoration of the Buzzolini tomb, Municipality of Genoa, Monumental Cemetery of Genoa.
- Restoration of the Palazzo dei Diamanti, Ferrara.
- Palazzo Nicolosio Lomellino, Genoa. UNESCO SITE OF THE SYSTEM OF THE PALAZZI DEI ROLLI. Restoration of the frescoes ( 1500 aprox). ( with Dott.ssa Lenka Vassallo)
- Palazzo Ducale di Modena, Military Academy. Restoration of wooden entrance door. ( with Prof. Roberto Bestetti, Dott.ssa Lenka Vassallo)
- Restoration of painting ceilings, Manzoni Theatre, Bologna.
- Restoration of the Uttini Tomb, Monumental Cemetery of Certosa, Bologna.
- Restoration of stone pieces at villa Beatrice , Argelato (Bo)
- Restoration of painting decorations in the theatre of pieve di Cento (Bo)
- Restoration and decoration of the church of San Pietro in Cento (Fe)
- restoration of the Vasari well, Arezzo
- Restoration of entrance door of the oratorio of nostra signora addolorata del Boschetto di Camogli.
- Restoration wooden polycrome sculpture "Madonna del rosario" of Maragliano school.
- Restoration wooden objects (1600 aprox) Diocesi di Acqui terme , Basilica dell'immacolata concezione. ( with Dott.ssa Maria Grazia Patrone)
- Since 2005 Conservator/restorer of Villa GROPPALLO for Prince Cesare Castelbarco Albani and Count Marcello Castelbarco Albani, Genoa.
- Restoration project approved by Superintendent Rossini , Architectural Heritage of Liguria for the restoration of the frontages of Villa Groppallo, Genoa.
- Restoration of the Branca Doria building, Genoa.
- Restoration of a monumental tomb in the cemetery of Rivarolo, Genoa.
- Restoration of a monumental tomb in the cemetery of Sassello, Savona.
- Restoration of frescoes , LA SFORZESCA CASTLE, Vigevano (Pv).
- Restoration of the facade of the church of Santa Maria della Cella, Genova. ( with Dott.ssa Lenka Vassallo)
- Restoration of the painting decorations inside the church of the Carmine , Genoa.
- Restoration of stuccoes and ex novo execution of ceilinf stuccoes , arcades on via XX settembre, Genoa for the municipality of Genoa.
- Villa Pallavivino, Genoa. Stuccoes restoration.
- Trompe l'oeil decoration, execution of graffiti ex novo, hight quality finishings in private villas in Switzerland- Saint Moritz.