Each of our interventions is preceded by a detailed photographic documentation, supported by diagnostic investigations aimed at getting to know the composition and the nature of the treatments applied to the surface concerned and qualitative and quantitative analyzes concerning the chemical composition of the same. The restoration interventions that will be carried out will find support in the cycle of investigations concerning the chemical and physical aspects of the samples taken into consideration.
IN SITU analysis:
· UV light examination: determination of the materials fluorescence (providing information on overpaintings, pigments, organic materials and deterioration mechanisms)
· Microtest for the characterization of pigments, binding media (proteins, starch, polysaccharides, rosin and drying oils) and deterioration materials (e.g. salts such as Chloride, Nitrate, Sulfate)
· Solubility tests: solvent based and water based tests for the prediction of removability of discoloured materials (varnishes or protective layers), overpaintings and other altered material
· Sample taking: examination with portable microscopes (visible light and UV light); documentation with digital camera and preparation of cross section (resin inclusion). Section observation and micro test on section
Instrumental analysis (carried out in an Italian qualified center for the analysis on historical materials and Cultural Heritage)
· Cross section and thin section preparation and observation by light miscroscope and petrographic (polarized light) microscope (for plasters)
· SEM-EDX (Scanning Microscope with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy) for the interpretation of the sample morphology, map of elements and deterioration materials (new formations)
· FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy) for a general interpretation of sample content
· RAMAN spectroscopy for pigments and other materials
· GC-MS for organic materials (binding media, varnishes)
Other analysis could be performed, on the base of the issues that would emerge during the conservation treatments.
Ogni nostro intervento è preceduto da una dettagliata documentazione fotografica, supportato da indagini diagnostiche indirizzate a conoscere la composizione e la natura dei trattamenti applicati alla superficie interessata e analisi qualitative e quantitative inerenti la composizione chimica degli stessi. Gli interventi di restauro che verranno effettuati troveranno supporto nel ciclo di indagini che riguardano gli aspetti chimico fisico dei campioni presi in esame.
Analisi in situ:
E’ possibile effettuare altre analisi sulla base delle condizioni e delle problematiche riscontrate durante l’applicazione di trattamenti conservativi.